Monday 5 October 2015

A Whimsical Top Ten of Blues Songs

Following on from the runaway success of my earlier post (a whole 20 people visited the page) I have decided to continue with the next chapter.
This one is going to be much tougher. I know a lot of blues musicians and I know a fair amount of blues. I can't think of any other musical form that can be so divisive while being so limited. Most blues tunes consist of three or four chords (ok, passing chords, substitutions blah blah blah) and most conform to one of a few set patterns BUT (and it's a big but, fnarr fnarr) it's how you use those limitations that matters.
This list is purely personal and I'm sure everyone has their own opinions and that's a great thing. Please share them with me. I'm always open to new blues.

1. Hush Hush - Jimmy Reed

Jimmy Reed is the king of the shuffle. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of bands that can properly play a Jimmy Reed shuffle. Lots try. Lots fail.
This groove is just so bad-ass. Tight, sloppy, groovy, nailed-on shuffle. You could study music for a thousand years and still not get it right.

2. Mojo Hand - Lightnin' Hopkins

Another example of sloppy tightness. This is one of my favourite tunes of all time. The lyrics are all kinds of menacing and the guitar playing is spot on. I love the way Lightnin' uses his right hand in such a laid back way. I've tried to play like this and discovered I can't. Mainly because I'm not Lightnin' Hopkins.

3. On The Road Again - Memphis Jug Band

This is a great tune. Full of movement and a great central riff. The chorus is a blinder and it amazes me it hasn't been covered more. You can just imagine someone like Levon Helm laying down a tight drum beat behind it. I like a lot of jug band stuff because I grew up on it but it seems to be treated as the comedy sidekick of more 'serious' blues. I think that does the music a massive disservice. Open your ears and minds and give it a go.

4. Milk Cow Blues - Sleepy John Estes

I bloody love Sleepy John. Put his records on and you can hear the licks, phrases and style that so many later blues players would absorb in to their own music. Ry Cooder, Taj Mahal, Bob Dylan and many others owe a big debt to him. I could have picked any of his stuff so I recommend you find an album and just put it on from start to finish.

5. Freddie King - Takin' Care of Business

Freddie King is the main man of electric blues, as far as I'm concerned. My uncle Rob gave me a cassette of his when I had just started learning the guitar and I listened to it constantly until my walkman finally chewed it up. His style was so cool. Far more direct than the Jazz or Soul leanings of many of his contemporaries. He's also one of the main reasons I play a Gibson semi. (The fact it's black is because of BB King)

6. Boomers Story - Ry Cooder

Ryland P Cooder has the sort of back catalogue that requires constant attention. I could have chosen something from 'Into The Purple Valley' or 'Paradise and Lunch' but this is the song and album I probably listen to the most. I love the songs and I love his guitar sound. What I wouldn't give to be able to make a guitar sing and growl like Ry.

7. Big Mammas Door (Might Return) - Alvin Youngblood Hart

Something a little more up to date. This song is the opening track on an album that all blues guitar players should own (Motivational Speaker) and what an opener it is. Open G dirty guitars giving it the big'un over the old train shuffle beat. What is there not to love about this tune? Dirty dirty dirty.

8. Done Changed My Way of Livin' - Taj Mahal

Two for the price of one because you not only get the awesome Taj but also Jesse Edwin Davis on the guitar. Another hard one to narrow down but I love the tempo and feel on this one. Not to mention Davis' cool-as-fuck guitar playing. The first three Taj Mahal albums (and the Risin' Sons album too) are great blues introduction. Laid back, cool and totally down with it. My favourite albums to play along with.

9. Scratch My Back - The Fabulous Thunderbirds

A bit of a cheat as this way I get to indirectly include Slim Harpo as this is a cover of one of his old tunes. I love the Fabulous Thunderbirds and I'm one of those rare people who loves Jimmie Vaughan more than his more famous brother. This band had that Texas, slicked back shuffle thing going on.
Although I don't know many blues players who wouldn't want to be in the Thunderbirds, I doubt many could resist the temptation to over play. That's the secret. Never over egg the pudding.

10. Hard Again - Muddy Waters

Sod it. I can't pick one track from this genius album. Johnny Winter on guitar, Pinetop Perkins on piano, James Cotton on harp, the list goes on. Not only does this have the best title of an album ever, it also shows just how powerful a force of nature Muddy Waters was.
If ever you want to feel ten feet tall and bad as can be, just pop this on your iPod and step out your front door. Chest beating, strutting blues at its best.

Honorable mentions to...

One Kind Favour - BB King

A timely reminder of why everyone loves/loved BB. This T Bone Burnett produced album sets him up with a killer backing band and strips away all the Las Vegas bullshit. The result is a truly joyous noise.

The Bright Lights E.P. - Gary Clark Jr.

Give it fifteen seconds and you'll know exactly why.

Thanks for reading. Please leave any comments and suggestions below.

I've made a Spotify playlist of these and the tunes from my previous list for you to listen to here https://open.spotify.com/user/milospilo/playlist/0yjKElH3UbGkCcKmfzEVPC

Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Nice one Miles, Both lists have reminded me of tunes not listened to for a long while and introduced lots of new stuff too. Playlist is a great add-on, saves lots of searching. Interested to see where your going next,, top boy bands? Musicals?? ;-) Seriously though its got the grey matter going so cheers for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul. Glad you like it. I think I might struggle with boy bands unless we can include the Beatles.

    ReplyDelete