Sunday 4 October 2015

A Whimsical Top Ten of Acoustic Singer/Songwriter Songs

In an effort to keep my brain distracted from other things, I have decided to jot down my favourite acoustic guitar tunes by my favourite songwriters and some little notes on them. Nothing special or earth shattering but there might be something in there that you've missed.
I'm not going to include blues tunes as I am going to do a separate list of them. Anyway, in no particular order....

1. Girl From The North Country - Bob Dylan (The Freewheelin')

When I first started playing the guitar I had two influences, my dad and Bob Dylan. Many more would quickly follow but it started with these two. We only had a few Dylan records in the house. The first one and Times They Are A Changin' so I had to go out and buy my own copy of this one. I guess because of that it made it more special. Anyway, it's a beautiful song and one I have tried in vain to cover a few times. There are many different versions out there but I still think this is the best one.

2. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning - Richard Thompson (Rumor & Sigh)

This is not only one of the greatest examples of solo acoustic playing but also one of the great story songs. I'm still amazed no one has made it in to a film. Thompson manages to fit more in to five minutes with a single guitar than most people do in their entire careers. Every time I hear this it completely envelopes me and not many tunes can do that.

3. Time - Tom Waits (Rain Dogs)

Speaking of story songs, this is another cracker. It's a lovely moment in life when you 'get' Tom Waits. Once that happens it's fairly natural to become obsessed. This is such a beautiful song that I really can't say much other than to tell you to go and listen to it....RIGHT NOW!!

4. Brave Awakening - Terry Reid (Seed of Memory)

This is a bit of a cheat as it only starts on acoustic before the rest of the band kicks in but it's my list so I'm going to include it. I could have picked any number of songs from this great album. The opening track is a belter and starts with one of the best acoustic guitar riffs but I'm choosing this one mainly because I've spent many a late night singing this at parties with drunken friends (you know who you are!).

5. Couldn't Love You More - John Martyn (One World)

I was introduced to this song via the Old Grey Whistle Test and I actually prefer that version to the studio cut. Either way it's a lovely song that doesn't over stay its welcome. The tuning he uses on this is a complete bastard but once you've learnt it, you won't stop playing it.


6. Helplessly Hoping - Crosby, Stills & Nash (Crosby Stills & Nash)

Harmonies.

7. Cautious Man - Bruce Springsteen (Tunnel Of Love)

It's tricky to narrow it down to one acoustic boss song but this one is just so good. It contains all the usual Springsteen themes and he weaves them together in to a heartbreaking meditation on heartbreak, loss and love. The lyrics are superb. This album doesn't get a lot of love because it's got some pretty dated 80s production but I highly recommend you give it another try.

8. Elephant - Jason Isbell (Southeastern)

While we are on the subject of great lyrics, you can't get any better than this. Another album where it's almost impossible to choose just one track but this morning I'm going with this one. Why this man isn't a superstar is beyond me.

9. Sweet Baby James - James Taylor (Sweet Baby James)

The first song I ever played in a folk club at the Penny Theatre in Canterbury in about 1991. Why I decided to choose a fingerpicked song with a million chords still remains a mystery but needless to say I screwed it up. I just loved the song so much. I'm a sucker for a lullaby and this is a near perfect one. It's a shame that Taylor slipped in to such a bland place as the 70s wore on . His first few records were terrific.

10. Oh My Sweet Carolina - Ryan Adams (Heartbreaker)

Any song that features EmmyLou Harris is immediately awesome as far as I'm concerned. When her beautiful voice appears for the first chorus it makes your hair stand up and your heart skip a beat. Probably Ryan Adams best acoustic record from his purple patch. The boy can definitely write a tune.

Honorable mentions to..

Wont Be The Last Time - Justin Townes Earle (Nothings Gonna Change The Way I Feel)

This is another beautiful song. The production is superb, the lyrics are sublime and the whole thing just feels so good.

Blue - Lucinda Williams (Essence)

I find it hard to choose my favourite Lucinda album let alone song so I shall just go with this for now.

and finally....... everything by Jackson Browne x

I made a Spotify Playlist of the tunes that you can find here https://open.spotify.com/user/milospilo/playlist/0yjKElH3UbGkCcKmfzEVPC


1 comment: